Enter versus Control-Enter - can't get any of the suggestions to work

phil phil at asylumhouse.org
Fri Nov 21 14:09:28 EST 2014

Hello,

I see this has raised its ugly head many times, but here it is again.

System is lubuntu 14.04.1 - LXDE, Openbox WM.

Running Pidgin V2.10.9 with the OTR plugin.

I've put the following snippet

---

binding "my-bindings"
{
    bind "Return" { "insert-at-cursor" ("\n") }
    bind "<ctrl>Return" { "message_send" () }
}
widget "*pidgin_conv_entry" binding "my-bindings"

---

in:

.gtkrc-2.0

.gtkrc-2.0-kde-kde4

~/.purple/.gtkrc-2.0

~/.purple/gtkrc-2.0

Nothing will get the return key to stop sending messages.

Furthermore, I've tried this snippet, as was suggested someplace on the web:

---

bind "Return" { "insert-at-cursor" ("\n") }
bind "<ctrl>Return" { "message_send" () }

---

No joy there, either.

So, I figure I've tried hard enough that I'm entitled to ask somebody for help
here...

Thanks!