Pidgin nethogs

Mik Scheper pidgin at purpletrafficlight.net
Wed Nov 26 22:53:48 EST 2014

In an effort to curb bandwidth charges, I've been running nethogs
<http://nethogs.sourceforge.net/> lately, and was surprised by just how
much bandwidth my Pidgin installation burns through. It's used up over
12MB in the past hour, even though I've only exchanged a few chat
strings with people.

I would expect overhead from status messages and keeping track of who's
on and who's offline, but not that much! I have about a dozen different
chat accounts using various protocols; it'd be interesting to know
whether one's being a particular hog. Does anybody know of a plug-in to
help with that, or have any experience with particular culprits (e.g.
Facebook)? I know I can just activate and deactivate accounts and see
what changes, but it'd be nice if there was a more convenient way.

Thanks,
MikZ.