Compiling from source without '-g' in CFLAGS?

Stoycho Ganev stoycho at ganev.org
Wed Oct 22 14:24:44 EDT 2014

Hello,

I do not want a debug build, but I am unable to compile Pidgin without
-g in CFLAGS.

I need a small binary with no debugging symbols.

If I run ./configure without passing the CFLAGS environment variable, I
get the following CFLAGS in the Makefile:

CFLAGS = -g -g -O2

(I get two -g flags!)

If I run the configure script like this:

CFLAGS="-O2" CXXFLAGS="-O2" ./configure --disable-nm (specifying CFLAGS
explicitly)

I get the following in Makefile:

CFLAGS = -g -O2

This time the -g flag is only one, but it's still there! I still get
debugging symbols when I don't need them.

I want my CFLAGS to contain no -g flag at all!

How do I accomplish this?

Thank you!

--

- - - - -
Stoycho Ganev

EPAY JSC

16 Ivan Vazov st., fl.4
Sofia 1000
UIC: 131409398
tel: (+359 2) 921 08 50
fax: (+359 2) 987 91 31

s.ganev at datamax.bg
https://www.epay.bg [1]

Please do not print this e-mail unless you really need to!

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Links:
------
[1] https://www.epay.bg/