Handshake failed (-12272)

Thomas, Brian J Brian.Thomas at GDIT.com
Fri Oct 31 08:39:09 EDT 2014

Good morning,

I am having trouble connecting to a Jabber server.  Pidgin was recently upgraded to 2.10.10 and I now get an "SSL Handshake Failed" message in the Buddy List window.  The debug log contains this error:

(08:26:42) jabber: Recv (50): <proceed xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls'/>
(08:26:42) nss: Handshake failed (-12272)
(08:26:42) connection: Connection error on 0620ECA8 (reason: 5 description: SSL Handshake Failed)

Everything up to that point appears to work correctly.

Unfortunately, my company is blocking access to certain sites that may help, so I'm coming here.  What does error code -12272 mean?  Does it point to one particular aspect, like mismatched algorithms or keys that won't work?  Does everything run over port 5222 or are there other ports involved?

Thank you for any guidance anyone can provide!