Facebook connectivity

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Sep 26 04:32:13 EDT 2014

On 26/09/14 00:57, Lord Flame Stryke wrote:

> Is this a Pidgin issue, or a Facebook issue?  If it’s a Pidgin issue, is
> there something I can do to resolve this?

If you get an unexplained certificate error you should assume that you
are under a man in the middle attack, until you have convinced yourself
otherwise.

Your first highlighted line indicates that the certificate Facebook
presented is not one you have seen previously from them.  The second
highlighted line indicates that you do not have the root certificate
installed for the alleged signer of the that certificate.

You need to obtain that certificate by secure means, convince yourself
that they are reliable and appropriate people to authenticate Facebook
servers, and install it.

Some information on how to install a root certificate that you trust, on
Windows Pidgin, can be found at
<https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/MSNCertIssue>.

You should not rely on mailing lists like this to tell you whether you
can trust any particular certificate as posters here are not
authenticated or vetted.