not respecting the guidelines

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Dec 19 12:34:06 EST 2015

On 19/12/15 16:52, iarbaverde wrote:

> I just installed pidgin and want to log in to my jabber account.
> Unfortunately it doesn't let me. In German it tells me it's beacause
> of 'Richtlinien-Verletzung' that's something like 'not respecting the
> guidelines'. Well, I haven't done anything as far as I know but

The official translation is Policy Violation, and it is it the result of
Jabber sending a policy-violation error response.

> installing the program. Does anyone have an idea what could be the
> problem and how it can be solved? I already asked jabber, they said
> it's nothing to do with them, so I'm guessing it has something to do
> with pidgin. I'm really thankful for help!

It definitely involves Jabber.  My guess is that you are trying to use
deprecated encryption options.  However, the error is a general purpose
error for anything that Jabber don't like.

This may help
<http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthread.php?19815-Jabber-Login-Problem>.

<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3920.txt> (the XMPP specification):

    o  <policy-violation/> -- the entity has violated some local service
       policy; the server MAY choose to specify the policy in the <text/>
       element or an application-specific condition element.

"local" means local to the server.

For future references, you can search de.po to find the official English
language string for any message that is actually generated by Pidgin.