Sourceforge pidgin download page blocked by google chrome as malicious

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Feb 24 14:38:22 EST 2015

Philippe VIALLE spake unto us the following wisdom:
> if I may, that's the binary file (Pidgin-2.10.11.exe) that was downloaded
> that seems to get blocked (in fact, local detection of malicious files by
> browser itself).

OK, this is good information, thank you.

The Pidgin Windows installer (typically not Pidgin itself) has been
blocked by quite a few anti-virus and anti-malware apps in the past,
due to the installer package we use (whatever it is) *also* being used
by malware.

Perhaps that's what is going on here.

It is *also* certainly the case that several Pidgin download URLs were
issued to Google in a DMCA takedown notice.  The company that issued
them is now backtracking (possibly due to actual liability for this
act under some European jurisdictions in which both the company in
question and Google have offices), but it may be or become a problem.
It may not be this problem.

Ethan