2.10.9 (on Linux) Broke internal certificates

Michael Secord gizmokid2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 12:31:43 EST 2015

On 1/6/2015 12:22 PM Joss, Kirby A. <kajoss at carilionclinic.org> said
unto support at pidgin.im <support at pidgin.im>:

> Our internal Spark IM system uses self-signed certs which are un-expired and stil work with RHEL 6.6 Pidgin 2.7.9-27el6 on my Linux workstation and older Pidgins on Windoze. When Mint 17 updates provided Pidgin 2.10.9, not only did it pronounce only our internal cert invalid, but there is no apparent provision to over-ride and accept it anyway. I can still monitor gmail, yahoo, and even AOL (all expendable at work) but being off the corporate system is unacceptable, so I'm now looking for a replacement generic IM client that works on the ubuntu family of *nix.

2.10.9 is an old release with (I'm pretty certain known) cert issues,
which is why 2.10.10 was pushed and subsequently 2.10.11.

You should upgrade your installation and see if your issue is resolved.

Changelog with the notes: https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ChangeLog

> Notice: The information and attachment(s) contained in this communication are intended for the addressee only, and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately, and delete this communication from any computer or network system. Any interception, review, printing, copying, re-transmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liability. Carilion Clinic shall not be liable for the improper and/or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.

This means nothing to a mailing list.