Problem of Pidgin 2.10.11 Compilation on OpenSUSE 13.2 x86_64

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Jan 12 08:22:34 EST 2015

Hi Mikhail,

please reply to all recipients (see the bottom line of my signature).

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 02:40:13 +0200
Mikhail Kasimov <mikhail.kasimov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Given: OpenSUSE 13.2 x86_64, XFCE 4.10. Pidgin version in repos is
> out-dated (2.10.10-5.4.1), so I tried to install it manual from sources
> downloaded from https://www.pidgin.im/download/source/.
>
> So, wget && tar && cd ./pidgin && ./configure. But ./configure fails with
> =====
> configure: error:
>
> You must have GLib 2.16.0 or newer development headers installed to build.
>
> If you have these installed already you may need to install pkg-config so
> I can find them.
>
> =====
>
> sudo zypper se -s pkg-config command shows that pkg-config 0.28-7.1.2
> x86_64 is installed.

pkg-config is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pkg-config and uses .pc
definition files to find what it needs. To install the relevant definition
file, you need to install the appropriate "-devel" (= development) package. So
search for glib2-devel (and later other packages like that):

http://software.opensuse.org/package/glib2-devel

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish