Pidgin: SSL Handshake Failed

Kevin Kretz kevin at rentec.com
Wed Jul 22 13:32:22 EDT 2015

I started getting that same error on some of my linux desktops a few days ago.  I tracked it down to a mozilla-nss update that seems to have broken pidgin SSL connections to OpenFire XMPP server.

We're using pidgin-2.10.10 but recompiling 2.10.11 from source still has the problem.  Forcing pidgin to use gnutls library instead is a workaround.