PRotocols unification ? RE: New Yahoo messenger with Pidgin client

David Balažic david.balazic at comtrade.com
Wed Jul 13 12:43:29 EDT 2016

In light of this, does anyone know any group, organization, effort or anything toward unification of IM protocols?
Having 5 (or even 10) different apps just to communicate with people is ridiculous.
(multi-protocol clients like pidgin help, but the problem still remains)

A quick google found just this old article from 2008:

"Standardizing instant messaging protocols"
 Instant messaging's growth hasn't been as robust as many expected
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2273493/email-services/standardizing-instant-messaging-protocols.html

Regards,
David Balažic
Software Engineer