Pidgin for Smartphone

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Oct 8 14:29:19 EDT 2017

El día miércoles, julio 29, 2015 a las 11:58:51a. m. -0400, Michael McConville escribió:

> Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > May I add to the question, if there is work in progress for a Pidgin
> > app for the BQ E4.5 Ubuntu phone? The problem for sure would be the
> > lack of a X11 server (it is running a Mir server), and other
> > infrastructure....
>
> There definitely isn't any active work happening for Ubuntu phone (or
> any smartphone, to my knowledge). If you want to look into it, that'd be
> awesome, of course.
>
> I've never tried running libpurple on a smartphone. Getting it working
> on Android was a Google Summer of Code project recently, I think. I've
> been told that it may be too resource-demanding. Aside from that, it has
> a lot of dependencies, so getting it built and running would be a lot of
> work. Don't take my word for it, though.
>
> If I recall correctly, Eion has played with HTTP data proxying between a
> phone client and libpurple running on a server.

There is a new project raising, at the moment in the phase of
crowdfunding, to bring a normal Linux system to a new hardware of a
mobile (i.e. the project is open hardware plus open Linux, not with
Android blobs). It is here: https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/ and they have
already reached 91% of the goal and have 15 days left. I supported the
project by ordering one complete device, it's a risk but money risked
for a good sense. This device, due to it's software stack, would
perhaps allow to port libpurple to it.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045