TOR/Privacy (SOCKS5) or SOCKS5

pidgin at mail.iqk.com pidgin at mail.iqk.com
Thu Apr 12 17:58:54 EDT 2018

The question is comparable to "what's the difference between 'I-95' and 'a highway'?".

SOCKS5 is a protocol.  TOR is a network that uses that protocol.

If you wanted to use SOCKS5, but not through TOR, you'd need another specific server that offers SOCKS5.

Yes, TOR is a more vast network than most SOCKS5 servers, but from a user perspective, it's one of any number of SOCKS5 servers that one can use.