ICQ Official announcement

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Sun Dec 23 01:53:31 EST 2018

On 23.12.2018 03:10, Eion Robb wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I've been working on a new ICQ protocol replacement at https://github.com/EionRobb/icyque
> Currently it can just login and send/receive IM's, but work is ongoing to try to support other features.

Hi!

Thank you very much!

I've built it successfully from source under FreeBSD 11.2 and testing it just now.
It works at first glance with Pidgin 2.13.0 but there are two problems:

1) I started Pidgin without any accounts activated, created new account for ICQ (WIM) protocol
and logged in successfully. Next moment I got dozen of incoming message windows:
it seems there was one window per every contact that sent me a message in the past
to this installation of Pidgin. Each window contained one last message from a contact,
some of them dated several years ago. It took a while to close them all :-)

2) Outgoing messages get delivered just fine and are perfectly readable for both of ASCII and Cyrillic.
Incoming messages from old official ICQ 2005 client do not come in at all.

If I log out ICQ(WIM) account and get back to old bundled ICQ(OSCAR) account, the problem disappears.

Is there a way to debug what's going on other than tcpdump? At protocol level.
Can it write some debugging logs to a window, file or maybe syslog?