Privacy using IRC protocol

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Jan 14 16:22:54 EST 2018

On 14/01/18 20:24, Dave McMahon wrote:
> I'm sort of an amateur to IRC, I used to use AIM for OTR messaging. I
> was wondering if messages between myself and another user are private
> through Pidgin are private. IE, if I message another user directly, can
> our conversation be seen by a third party in some channel or is our
> conversation strictly between us? This is not an issue of security, we
> simply prefer to know that we can't be "overheard".

With the exception of Bonjour (which cannot be used on the internet),
all messages go through a server that is outside the control of Pidgin.
Any end to end encryption will be a function of the protocol used, and
the third party server.  I don't believe that IRC intrinsically provides
end to end encryptions, but there may be plugins that impose end to end
encryption on top of the actual IRC communication.