Configuring Voice/Video

tron tronz at yandex.ru
Fri Jun 29 23:14:23 EDT 2018

Trying to configure pidgin 2.13.0 for voice under xubuntu 16.04. Pulse
Audio detects webcam and is showing sound reception from its mic but
pidgin's mic test is not showing a changing sound level. Changing
Pidgin's audio output and input plugins to Pulse Audio doesn't make any
difference. Device selection just showing one option "default" - not
listing specific devices; are they actually seen by Pidgin?

Pidgin's FAQ on Voice/Video says that the command-line
gstreamer-properties program is used on GNOME-based systems. On other
systems, Pidgin makes its best guess as to which device to use. (In my
case, perhaps, it is guessing wrong.) A plugin is planned to support
this functionality on other systems.

Xubuntu is XFCE (not Gnome) based and configuring VV from within 2.13.0
is, from my experience so far, still not bullet proof.  So what are my
options? If someone knows how to mod the earlier command-line tool for
XFCE or has a patch for GUI or has any other suggestion please let me know.