XMPP over Tor with onion address

dgj+lists at systemli.org dgj+lists at systemli.org
Tue Jun 11 11:10:04 EDT 2019

Hello,

I am running ejabberd on a FreedomBox [1] which is only accessible as a
Tor hidden service, and I would like to connect to ejabberd over Tor
with Pidgin. Any assistance would be appreciated. So far I have not had
any success.

In Pidgin, I have followed this guide from riseup.net for using Pidgin
with a Tor hidden service, but it did not work:

https://riseup.net/en/chat/clients/pidgin#tor-with-pidgin-configuration

To sum up what I did in Pidgin.

Under Basic tab:
     Protocol: XMPP
     Username: my-freedombox-username
     Domain: EXAMPLE.freedombox.rocks
     Resource: empty
     password: my-freedombox-username password

Under Advanced tab:
     Connection Security: Require encryption
     Connect Port: 5222
     Connect Server: my-freedombox-onion-address
     File Transfer Proxies: empty

Under Proxy tab:
     Proxy type: tried both SOCKS 5 and Tor/Privacy (SOCKS5)
     Host: 127.0.0.1
     Port: tried both 9050 and 9150 with Tor Browser Bundle running

Pidgin says "Unable to connect".

Note that I have also asked for help at the FreedomBox forum:
https://discuss.freedombox.org/t/xmpp-over-tor-with-ejabberd/198

Thanks in advance for your help!
DJ

[1] https://freedombox.org/