Installing Pidgin on debian

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Mar 21 08:21:41 EDT 2019

On 21/03/2019 11:53, sebko at interia.pl wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I want install communiacor pidgin stable on debian stretch.
>
> - communitacor pidgin only working Local Area Network

That will be a network configuration problem, not Pidgin. (But see note
about Bonjour, below.)

> What I have to do ? Please Help.
>

> - Do I need to install a graphic environment or just console?

Pidgin is a GUI program, so you will need a graphical environment,
capable of supporting the GTK+ widget libraries.  There is a non-GUI
program, Finch, based on the same instant messaging libraries (libpurple).

> - What server should I put on a pidgin for users? (If you can, please link)

You don't put a server on Pidgin' Pidgin is a client.  Pidgin can be
used without a server, but you are limited to a single broadcast area
(Bonjour protocol).

Pidgin can be used with remote servers run by several commercial IM
services, although many are dropping out of the market, or going to
undocumented, proprietary, protocols.  The whole point of Pidgin is that
allows you to use multiple types of server.

Generally for in house use, most organisations would use an XMPP server.
  There are several.

> - Does linux server to have java environment? - Maybe not, because it is
> not needed. Users do not have a JRE.

Pidgin runs on clients, not on servers, and is not written in Java.
Different servers may have different requirements.

> - whether there is a portable version of Pidgin click and launch or
> installation version - We have different windows since unfortunately a
> few XP after 7, 8 and 10.

I imagine USB stick hosted version are available, but I don't have
details to hand.