Pidgin Videochat doesn't work

Sandra kinkelsandra at t-online.de
Thu Mar 28 14:12:21 EDT 2019

Dear Pidgin-Support-Team,

At first: My english is not the best but I hope you understand.

We have got a problem with using webcams and videochats in Pidgin
(Linux) via jabber.de.

When we want to start a video conference, it doesn't ask the partner to
start and in the window where we should see each other we have black
pictures (but control LED of webcam is shining).
Then I plugged in an extern USB-Webcam, and I saw my picture, but from
the internal webcam of my notebook??? (Also when I plugged out the
external cam while the conference window was open). But I couldn't see
my partner's picture.

When he is using the external webcam, wo both see ourselves, but not the
other person.

One time we had the error "Konferenzfehler" and the programm stopped the
conversation.

We think that the problem is that Pidgin doesn't find the camera?
Is there a way to "say to Pidgin" where it is?

We tested with several accounts and Notebooks and the external cam but
it didn't work on any of these.

On two notebooks there comes "webcam-error" so the webcam isn't found
(and LED is not shining), but with other programs the webcam works.

Maybe you can help so we can start talking with videos without using Skype!

Thanks for your answers,
Sandra Kinkel