Demise of Google Hangouts?

Phil Smith III lists at akphs.com
Tue Nov 5 17:49:12 EST 2019

It's been reported that Google is killing end-user Hangouts in 2020:

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-hangouts-gets-hung-out-to-dry-in-2020-report-says/

Some of us are irritated because we just moved off of AIM. I don't care which service it is, I just need it to work-my wife is housebound and uses it a lot to communicate with me from her PC when I'm out and about. (Yes, text-to-email works, but then she has to keep checking for responses in email; Pidgin flashes/beeps). What else are people using that both Pidgin on Windows and Android phones support?