Demise of Google Hangouts?

David Balažic David.Balazic at comtrade.com
Thu Nov 7 06:32:00 EST 2019

Someone mentioned SMS, which has good sides, but also bad, like:

-        How to use it on a Windows PC? I know Skype can send SMS, not sure about receiving.

-        It is not problem free. For example currently I can't send SMS to a certain contact due to some bug in the iPhome Messages app. Also, some providers charge per message.

(2) Try Delta Chat (https://delta.chat/). This is a chat app that uses standard email as its transport medium. I must admit that I have not yet tested it but the idea seems sound and of course won't just disappear (yet!). There's a Delta Chat plugin for Pidgin, I see.

Incidentally, the same contact has currently major problems receiving email messages, as the mail server is refusing some incoming messages (due to spam detector "recognizing" them as spam).

Skype is what I would recommend for a more or less reliable service (there is a Pidgin plugin, using Skypes web interface, haven't used it myself), although I have login/logout problems in last few week on one of my devices (others work fine).

I guess there is not perfect solution.

David Balažic
Lead Engineer
www.comtrade.com