about pidgin

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Aug 3 07:30:20 EDT 2021

On 03/08/2021 05:10, M Mn wrote:
> Is there truly any way to text free over the internet? With one simple app without having to download a bunch of extra stuff that needs configuring too?

I assume by free, you mean except for what you are already paying to
access the internet, and the references to extra stuff and configuration
refer to stuff not included by your OS supplier and configuration you
wouldn't have to do to use the internet in the first place, which are
somewhat variable items.  What services you get as part of the standard
bundle, with the OS, depends on what the OS developer things the market
wants, as moderated, by any commercial interests they may have in
operating infrastructure.

The biggest obstacle to point to point operation is actually that most
people don't have a first class connection to the internet, but rather
go through network address translation with an unstable public address.

In the early days of the internet, email would have provided this, and
some early mass market ISPs (e.g. Demon in the UK) worked in a way where
their customers had a first class connection to the internet, including
for email.  However, with the mass market, came a move to storing
mailboxes centrally and consumer mail programs only having second class
access, using a single relay for all outbound traffic, and sucking
incoming traffic from centralised mailboxes, rather than sending
outgoing mail directly to the recipient's system, and accepting pushes
of incoming mail direct from the sender.  The advent of spam supported
this trend, as people started not to trust point to point routed email.

SIP, as used for VoIP, and also capable of text messaging, is similar.
The protocol is quite capable of working point to point, but nearly
everyone uses it via an internet telephony service provider, and uses
phone numbers for addressing, not full user at domain addresses.  SIP
implementations do tend to have some support for address translation,
but can have trouble if the public address isn't stable.