Problems with my account in pidgin

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Nov 12 17:37:08 EST 2021

On 12/11/2021 13:40, 24x at tuta.io wrote:
> 15:38:16) dnssrv: Couldn't look up SRV record. DNS-имя не существует. (9003).a

This isn't an error.  The domain name you gave does not have SRV
records, but it got beyond this point.

> (15:38:52) nss: partial certificate chain

I was hoping someone more familiar with this aspect of Pidgin was going
to answer, but really you need help from someone you trust, as this
relates to the mechanisms that are used to ensure you are really talking
to the server, not to an impostor who is then forwarding things to the
server.

It appears that only IRC and XMPP use this.  I'm guessing that you are
trying to access an IRC server run by voxi.ru, but if it is actually an
XMPP one, please let us know.

The could mean:

1) someone is pretending to be the server and hoping you won't check
properly or will override security warnings;

2) Pidgin never had the CA certificate needed to verify the server - was
it working before;

3) The server has updated its server certificate which is now signed by
a new CA certificate (you may want to check you have the latest  Pidgin
and have current security updates for your OS - this might be the case
if they were using a Lets Encrypt certificate, as there was a recent,
relatively chaotic, retirement of one of their CA certificates;

4) The server has a certificate that is signed by an intermediate
certificate, which they haven't sent to you, and which you didn't
already have.

There will be differences in how to add a missing CA certificate on your
side, depending on the OS, so you should tell us what that is, and as
you shouldn't take information from lightly used mailing lists at face
value, you really need someone you can trust to make sure that you don't
compromise your machine by adding a certificate that you shouldn't trust
to the extent necessary for your personal security needs.

For background on the concepts referred to above,
<https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/what-is-ssl-certificate-chain/>
may be useful.