[Pidgin] #15980: Patch for compiling on Windows
trac at pidgin.im
Thu Feb 13 21:54:56 EST 2014
#15980: Patch for compiling on Windows
Reporter: Skylark | Owner: tomkiewicz
Type: patch | Status: new
Milestone: 3.0.0 | Component: winpidgin (gtk)
Version: | Resolution:
Comment (by Skylark):
Replying to [comment:4 tomkiewicz]:
> I would really like to repackage those files, but I'm not sure, if these
files are properly licensed, to do that. Does anyone knows it?
From what I can see, there is a form you can sign and snail-mail (because
we're in 1983) to have the right to redistribute the Bonjour client-side
installer (I guess that's the Windows driver). See
For the SDK itself, the header (Include/dns_sd.h) contains the following:
/* -*- Mode: C; tab-width: 4 -*-
* Copyright (c) 2003-2004, Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
* and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* 3. Neither the name of Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") nor the names of
* contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
* software without specific prior written permission.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY APPLE AND ITS CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY
* EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
* WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
* DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
* DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
* (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
* LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED
* ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR
* (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
* SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
So I think you're fine if you put the necessary headers/libs directly in
your repository, and to be extra safe you could reproduce the above text
in your documentation (in a section titled "Contains software from Apple
Computer, Inc. under the following license"). But IANAL, this is just my
interpretation of item 1 above.
Ticket URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/15980#comment:5>
More information about the Tracker