[Pidgin] #16542: GTK interface crashes when editing pasted HTML
trac at pidgin.im
Mon Jan 19 13:16:15 EST 2015
#16542: GTK interface crashes when editing pasted HTML
Reporter: Boozam1k | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Milestone: | Component: pidgin (gtk)
Version: 2.10.11 | Keywords: html
Example: Save this HTML as `test.html` and open it in your browser:
<div id="post_118810" style="margin-top: 24px;" class="container drop-
<span style="font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; padding-right:
<div id="p_118810">Post content</div>
(Also see attached as `test.html`)
This bases on a real-life thing I wanted to paste someone. I'm not sure
which parts are relevant, but at least it's a small, self-contained
0. Open it in your browser (you should see a bold "Post title" and a
normal "Post content"), then select (Ctrl-A) and copy (Ctrl-C) the text.
1. Open a conversation in Pidgin (the GTK interface)
2. Paste it. It should now appear as "parsed"
3. Move the cursor in the middle of the text (specifically, in front of
the horizontal bar) by pressing the arrow-up key
4. Press the "delete" key multiple times
5. If successful, delete all text and repeat from step 2
For me it usually crashes in the first iteration, but always crashes
before the third iteration. (So it crases *early* and *reproducably*).
The exit flags sometimes indicate a SIGSEGV, but most the time SIGABRT.
I *guess* it has something to do with HTML-tags being deleted only
"partially" which subsequently fails to be parsed/displayed, but I have no
I followed TipsForBugReports:
* I have all plugins disables by renaming `~/.purple.prefs.xml`, the
problem still is there.
* All plugins, libpurple, pidgin, and the system as a whole is updated to
the newest version available for Debian testing (which might be outdated,
but at least it's "pretty new"). See below for concrete version numbers.
* There doesn't seem to be an existing bug report:
This query finds no tickets].
* I followed GetABacktrace:
* "The Easy Way": See files `pidgin-backtrace-20150119*.log`
Sorry for the missing function names, but the package
"pidgin-dbg" is installed, and I don'tknow what other "debug symbols" I
* "The Hard Way": See file `core`, but same problem. If someone
tells me how to apply the debug symbols, I'd love to be of help.
* "Obtaining a Debug Log": See file `pidgin-debug-20150119153753.log`
Note that it doesn't tell anything important.
* General setup: Debian ("testing" release) on GNU/Linux, using X, Xfce,
Iceweasel (basically Firefox)
* `pidgin -v`: Pidgin 2.10.11 (libpurple 2.10.11)
* `aptitude` says (I have no idea which of these might be relevant):
* `libpurple0 2.10.11-1`
* `libpurple-bin 2.10.11-1`
* `pidgin-dbg 2.10.11-1`
* `pidgin 2.10.11-1`
* `pidgin-data 2.10.11-1`
* `libgtk-3-0 3.14.5-1`
* `libgtk2.0-0 2.24.25-1`
* `libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 2.4.7-3`
* `libwebkitgtk-1.0-common 2.4.7-3`
* `libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 2.4.7-3`
* `libwebkitgtk-3.0-common 2.4.7-3`
* `libwxgtk3.0-0 3.0.2-1+b1`
* `libgtk-3-bin 3.14.5-1`
* `libgtk-3-common 3.14.5-1`
* `libgtk2.0-bin 2.24.25-1`
* `libgtk2.0-common 2.24.25-1`
* `firefox -v`: Mozilla Iceweasel 31.4.0 (but the browser shouldn't be
Ticket URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16542>
More information about the Tracker