Release tonight!

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Sat Sep 15 08:35:12 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 11:13:02AM +0200, Gabor Kelemen wrote:
> Martin Srebotnjak írta:
> > Well I've just translated quickly as much as I could. Does pidgin.pot on
> > this webpage not update regularly. Few days ago I updated translation
> > with it and finished it and you checked it in. Two deays later there ,
> > on the day of release there are more than 100 untranslated strings. And
> > string freeze was a week ago? Don't get it.
> > Anyway, I will be making a new ticket just now with 14 fuzzy and 24
> > untranslated msgs, better than 107...
> >
> It was because of the discovery of some files missing from POTFILES.in:
> http://pidgin.im/pipermail/translators/2007-September/000116.html
>
> I also didn't find time to update after this, so Hungarian has 107
> untranslated too :(.
>
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask for more time from developers:
> four days is clearly too short to update the translations of such a big
> program. How about announcing bugfix releases (like 2.2.1) one week
> before the actual release, and bigger releases (like 2.3.0) two weeks
> before?
>
> Regards
> Gabor Kelemen

The problem as I see it is that things such as the potfiles problem
don't get caught till after we announce the string freeze, as they are
typically caught by a translator.

Ethan and I have been discussing implementing a way to grant you all
commit access to just the po/ directory.  There are still some issues we
need to solve before that is possible though.  That should reduce both
the turn-around time and at least some of the complexity issues involved
with submitting a translation.

luke