Pidgin is string frozen!

Mișu Moldovan dumol at gnome.ro
Wed Dec 17 16:56:03 EST 2008

"Mark Doliner" <mark at kingant.net> a scris:
> 2008/12/17 Mișu Moldovan <dumol at gnome.ro>:
> >
> > I haven't touched Pidgin's Romanian translation since 2.5.0 and now I'm
> > confused by the fact that the references to the source files from the
> > PO files are missing entirely.
> >
> > Does anyone know why those commented strings vanished? I think they
> > often help when trying to understand the context in which a certain
> > string appears. They also helped me give a lower priority to strings
> > associated with IM protocols that are not used here: QQ, Gadu-Gadu and
> > the like.
> >
> > Is there a way to get them back?
>
> That's a fantastic question!  A while ago we made a decision to avoid
> checking in po files with the references to the source files because
> they contain line numbers which change frequently and create very
> large diffs.  With many translations these diffs can become rather
> large, and we wanted to avoid having our repository grow so much.
>
> It should be possible to temporarily add the context information back
> while translating, and then strip it before committing or submitting
> your po.  How to do this depends on the tools you use for translating,
> and the other translators will hopefully be able to give you better
> advice.  But I know the context information is removed by passing the
> --no-location flag to msgmerge.  There is also an --add-location flag.

And that's a fantastic answer... :) Quick and to the point. I think
this should be the recommended way of doing it in the po/ subdirectory:

    XGETTEXT_ARGS=--add-location intltool-update LL

And this should be done prior to send it upstream or committing it:

    XGETTEXT_ARGS=--no-location intltool-update LL

where LL is the language code.

Now back to translating... I feel again at home with all those
references to the source files. I think it's a good habit.

Many thanks,

--
mișu