Language not in install?

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Mon Jun 23 05:24:38 EDT 2008

On 23/06/2008, at 12:56 AM, Luke Schierer wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:39:19PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>> Hi everyone :)
>>
>> I have an unhappy user, who tells me (translated):
>>
>> "When I download pidgin-2.4.2.exe and run the install, there's a list
>> of languages, but Vietnamese isn't on it. :( "
>>
>> What could be causing this?
>>
>> I submitted a ticket with an updated, complete translation on
>> 24/4/08.
>> Vietnamese is listed on the translation status page.
>>
>> I've also just submitted another ticket with the latest update. Sorry
>> i couldn't do that earlier.
>>
>> (BTW, do you guys use NSIS? NSIS Unicode [1] will support Vietnamese
>> in its next version. I submitted the files today.)
>>
>> from Clytie
>>
>> Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
>> http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n
>>
>> [1] http://www.scratchpaper.com/
>

> We do use NSIS, and can only support languages in the installer that
> 1)it supports 2)we have a translation file for.
>
> Currently the win32 installer translations are a different file than
> the
> rest of the translations, and not as well managed.

What can we do about this?

Meanwhile, is there anyway a Windows user can make use of our
Vietnamese Pidgin translation? Can s/he compile it separately, or
install the program manually, in some way? I have the translation file
up on FTP, so users can access it. A viable workaround would be
welcomed by our users.

Is it reasonable for Pidgin to start using NSIS Unicode soon? It will
support Vietnamese in the next version, and already supports a lot
more languages than non-Unicode NSIS.

Jim Park, the developer of Unicode NSIS, is keen to help projects
expand their Windows user base to UTF-8 languages. He's currently
working on that with OpenOffice.org.

How can we improve the management of the Pidgin win32 installer
translations? Could we start with listing their status the way the
main interface file is listed [1] and adding info about them to the
Tips for Translators page?

If you'll point me to the info, or to the person managing the win32
files, I'm willing to add the info to the TfT page.

Then, at least we would have current translations for those files.
Maybe we can work together to improve the way the win32 files are
managed. :)

[1] http://developer.pidgin.im/l10n/

[2] http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForTranslators