How I test my translation?

Shalom Craimer scraimer at gmail.com
Mon May 12 01:15:44 EDT 2008

Hello!

As far as I can make out, the language code for Mongolian is "mn". So let's
call the file you've created "mn.po".

The first step is to convert that file into a loadable module, a ".mo".
On a unix system, or a Windows system with Cygwin installed, you could do:

msgfmt -cvo pidgin.mo mn.po

This will produce a file named "pidgin.mo". Assuming your Pidgin directory
is %pidgin%, then you can create the directory
"%pidgin%\locale\mn\LC_MESSAGES", and place the file "pidgin.mo" in there.

Next, we have to force Pidgin to load that file. The most rough-and-ready
way to do this, is to set the environment variable "LC_ALL" to "mn". This
will basically tell any locale-configurable program on your computer to use
Mongolian if it can.

In Windows, you can do this by right-clicking on "My Computer", and
selecting "Properties". A window named "System Properties" will appear.
Select the tab titled "Advanced", and click on "Environment Variables". A
new window titled "Environment Variables" will open. It is split into two
parts: user variables on top, and system variables on the bottom. Please
click on the "New" button for the user variables. For "Variable name" give
"LC_ALL" (without the qoutes), and for "Variable value" type "mn" (again,
without the quotes). Now just click "OK" until all the windows we've opened
are closed.

In a unix system, just run "export LC_ALL=mn" or add to your auto-load
script (~/.bashrc or whatever) the line:

export LC_ALL=mn

That's it. Now run Pidgin and it should work.

P.S. If anyone on the list has a simpler way of doing this, let me know
please :-)