Untranslated strings for Jabber room

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Aug 3 15:08:39 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:53:23AM +0200, F Wolff wrote:
> Hallo everybody
>
> I just noticed today in Pidgin 2.5.8 that the dialogue for creating a
> new Jabber room is untranslated (except for the Cancel and Ok buttons).
> These strings are not present in the latest POT file for Pidgin 2.6, so
> I guess it will be the same for the upcoming version.
>
> Does this text come from Pidgin, or from the conference server? Any way
> to get these translated?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Friedel

The contents of the room configuration dialog come from the server, the
server is supposed to support sending localized versions of the fields but
I don't believe pidgin supports indicating that it wants non-English
versions of the labels.

The set of (standard) possible fields is known so pidgin could include
local versions of the strings and do substitution on them but that would
be at best fragile and at worst incorrect. This is one of the more
unfortunate areas of the XMPP specifications.

Better would be to have libpurple support indicate that it would prefer
the localized versions of the labels when they exist (however this runs
into issue with users running in locales other than they intend, users who
want the English strings regardless, etc.)

    -Etan