Use of iso-639-3

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sat Apr 17 11:56:35 EDT 2010

To: Pidgin i18n list, Pootle list

On 17/04/2010, at 5:57 PM, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:

> One must also consider if all translation tools support this standard, like Translation Toolkit, Pootle etc. Maybe they already do, I do not know.
>
> Lp, m.

I think they do. Pootle and Translate Toolkit devs?

Gettext is fine with ISO-639-3, so is po4a (doc conversion package).

As I said, these codes have been in use at Debian for quite some time now, and I've also seen some at GNOME, so they must work with all the standard traslation editors. They probably do work with Pootle and the Toolkit, because Debian has some levels of its Installer (all languages) up on Pootle.

Pootle and the Translate Toolkit aim to support standards, and the iso-codes are certainly basic standards for us.

However, as you say, some less-used tools may not support iso-639-4 yet.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team