No subject

Sun Jul 25 05:18:00 EDT 2010

localization component when 'English' has been selected he is
effectively saying "I want this language". The installation system
could help by setting up the (user) registry key accordingly.

I propose improving it in a way that favours the user. BTW the FAQ
does not actually document the registry key used by the installer to
define the language (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\pidgin\Installer
language) maybe this should be documented?

> I still maintain that the "real" problem is that the desired language
> doesn't appear in the initial installer list - if it did, nobody would
> complain about anything else because everything would work as they
> expect it to.

No, the *real* problem is that *if* the desired language does not
appear in the initial installer it is difficult for an average user to
setup his
preferred language choice.

He has to:

- Understand that selecting a 'Localization component' equals to
'Translation to a given  language'
- Be able to make the relation between ISO codes (es, fr, etc.) to languages
- Be able to find the FAQ wiki and make the changes to PIDGINLANG

I'm not a Windows user myself, but from my POV these things might be
considered bugs in the installer.

In this case: Pidgin was translated to Spanish, even if the installer
was not, and our Spanish users had no clue as to how to set it up
after a default install. Not even by using Google to try to find the
answer .

"How does Pidgin for Windows determine which language to use?" is not
quite the same as "How do I change the language of Pidgin in Windows?"
which is the question I've been receiving quite often. I have actually
introduced a FAQ item explaining this.

Regards

Javier