Translate to Welsh

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Jun 12 11:05:17 EDT 2013

gymka spake unto us the following wisdom:
> 2013.06.12 15:21, Mike Jones rašė:
> > I'm an avid user of pidgin for instant messaging and noticed that
> > there's no official translation of pidgin into welsh (at least, that's
> > how it appears on the website). I was wondering if there are any other
> > people in the process of doing this. If there aren't it would certainly
> > be in my interest to translate for you.
> >
> > When others are doing their bit to translate pidgin into Irish, I feel
> > someone (possibly me) should come forward to support the welsh translation.
> >
> > I look forward to hearing from you,
>
> skip this pointless talks... if you want translate, go to
> https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/pidgin/ and request welsh
> translation team, then admin will create it and all who willing to help
> will submit their translations. all talks about such topic is waste of
> time.

Asking on this list is absolutely reasonable and should not be
discouraged.  Not all translators use transifex, for one, and even if
they do it is fine to discuss it here.  Remember that this mailing
list is for *all* translators, and whatever questions or issues they
may have.

Mike, we do not currently have any Welsh translators.  Feel free to
start a Transifex translation, or translate the po by other means,
whichever you prefer.  If you choose not to use Transifex, we can get
you set up with access to the repository for committing your
translation.

There are currently two major Pidgin branches, one for the 2.x series
and one for what will be 3.0.0.  The strings in the 2.x series are
fairly stable, while the strings for 3.0 have no such guarantee.  It's
probably good to start with the 2.x series pofiles, as there will
almost certainly be at least a few more releases before 3.0 comes out,
with the understanding that some re-translation would then be required
when the 3.0 string freeze comes along.

I know there are several active Welsh translation and advocacy groups
around the 'net.  You might look into whether joining one of those,
and adopting Pidgin as part of the project, is valuable.

Joining this mailing list is a good start, as we will announce string
freezes and such here.

Ethan