[Pidgin] FutureSOCProjects modified
trac at pidgin.im
Mon Apr 1 04:04:04 EDT 2013
Page "FutureSOCProjects" was changed by MarkDoliner
Diff URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects?action=diff&version=87>
Comment: A few really minor updates. Half grammatical, half content.
--- FutureSOCProjects (version: 86)
+++ FutureSOCProjects (version: 87)
@@ -45,22 +45,22 @@
== Rewrite chat log backend and frontend ==
-Our current chat log storage and viewer has only limited functionality. A proposal for this project idea should include plans to implement new backend and frontend (both, but backend is more important, because frontend relies on it):
+Our current chat log storage and viewer has only limited functionality. A proposal for this project idea should include plans to implement new backend and frontend (both, but backend is more important because frontend relies on it):
* New chat log backend features:
- * use single file (or anything less than thousands of files like now), like SQLite database
- * allow marking messages as unread, so they could be re-opened after Pidgin's restart, until user actually reads it
+ * use single file (or anything less than one-file-per-conversation), like SQLite database
+ * flag messages as unread until the user actually reads it, so unread messages can be re-opened after Pidgin restarts
* conversation context
- * inline images (and custom emoticons maybe?) storage
- * import from old chat log formats
+ * inline image (and custom emoticon maybe?) storage
+ * backward compatibility with old log format (possible one-time migration from old log format to new log format)
* (optional) remote log storage support
* Brand new frontend (chat log viewer - note, that it's pointless to do it without backend upgrade):
* browsing by meta-contacts - tree view, like in buddy list
- * responsiveness while searching, maybe some progress bar
+ * sorting by name, last message date, conversation frequency, amount of exchanged messages
+ * search capability (with UI remaining responsive, possibly with a progress bar displayed)
* (optional) typing name in search box could do real-time contacts filtering, like in buddy list
- * sorting by name, last message date, conversation frequency, amount of exchanged messages
* (optional) fuzzy search option
* (optional) showing new messages in real time
- * (optional) manual import/export for old formats (note, that import from old format should be anyway done automatically on first run)
+ * (optional) manual import/export for old formats
Here are two mockups: [http://i.imgur.com/XczYG.png like a current one] [http://i.imgur.com/dTFtV.png better one].
@@ -75,6 +75,7 @@
== Emoticon cache ==
(Note: There is some concern that this project is not large enough to justify an entire project.)
Currently Pidgin does nothing with received emoticons. It could save a lot of bandwidth if a cache of received emoticons existed. It could also be merged with local custom smileys so we have a unified way to manage these files. The cache can be done per session, per conversation, per account, or as a global permanent cache (just as buddy icons). The preferred method is a permanent cache so emoticons could be fetched only once.
@@ -107,7 +108,7 @@
* Produce a translation system for Pidgin's web site (at least the main static content)
* Implement Language auto-selection (via browser "Accept-Language" header)
* Use statically generated pages to avoid unnecessary server load and overhead (in other words, avoid pulling in the strings every time the page loads; only when they need to be regenerated)
- * Make use of existing technology such as gettext or similar web projects to allow translators to submit translations easily
+ * Make use of existing technology such as gettext or and Transifex to allow translators to submit translations easily
* Find a way to generate a translation template, identify or tag strings within pages.
* Consider ways to provide translated versions of images and screen shots
* This particular idea may not be sufficiently complex to span a summer and it may be worthwhile to combine it with other web site or internationalization improvements to Pidgin or some other type of larger project.
Page URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects>
This is an automated message. Someone added your email address to be
notified of changes on 'FutureSOCProjects' page.
If it was not you, please report to datallah at pidgin.im.
More information about the Wikiedit