[Cabal] Maintaining/Lead developing

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Thu Dec 7 12:54:07 EST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Sean Egan wrote:

> Additionally, since we're looking to further the wedge between the
> Pidgin and Pidgin-text UIs and the libpurple library, do we want to
> appoint different leads for the different projects? On the one hand,
> it seems like the two go so hand-in-hand, that it makes little sense
> to split them up like that. On the other hand, perhaps the two going
> so hand-in-hand is a hinderence to other UI's that don't have that
> benefit.

A year and a half ago, were such a split even in the realm of
feasibility, I would have strongly supported a split, I think --
there was a definite problem that changes were regularly made at the
level of the core and of the prpls which were 100% targeted at the
Gaim UI and which increased rather than decreased burden on other UIs
and portability of the nascent library.

That isn't the case now -- everyone with commit access seems fully in
support of a clean core/UI split, and responses to my requests and
questions angled toward libgaim-as-a-library have been met with
universal helpfulness.  I don't feel that there are any areas in
which the priorities of pidgin and libpurple differ at present.  We
want a perfectly stable, highly featureful libpurple, and obviously
pidgin needs that.  Although many development efforts focused on
pidgin don't have an impact on libpurple -- the status selector in
the buddy list, for example -- I don't think that were different
people in charge of the two projects we'd see resources allocated
differently or different priorities set, because most people who are
contributing to libpurple are doing so because of its impact on pidgin.

So for now, a unified project with a single lead developer makes
sense, I think.  Looking forward, especially if others -- perhaps
other Adium developers, Meebo guys, Proteus developers if that
project is ever resurrected, and so on -- are interested in
developing for libpurple specifically, being able to grant the commit
bit for just that area could be good, though (1) an honor system
could work just as well and (2) this obviously doesn't require a
separate lead or separate project, so is out of scope of the discussion.

-Evan