[Cabal] Maintaining/Lead developing

Sadrul H Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 11:39:26 EST 2006

On 12/6/06, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> > Additionally, since we're looking to further the wedge between the
> > Pidgin and Pidgin-text UIs and the libpurple library, do we want to
> > appoint different leads for the different projects? On the one hand,
> > it seems like the two go so hand-in-hand, that it makes little sense
> > to split them up like that. On the other hand, perhaps the two going
> > so hand-in-hand is a hinderence to other UI's that don't have that
> > benefit. Maybe Evan has some insight.
>
> I'm mostly ok with the way things are now.  I think having things in the
> same
> repository is convenient.  Same for sharing a bug tracker, wiki, etc.  It
> might be good if Pidgin-text had it's own FAQ, or maybe it's own single
> page
> on the Gaim web site or something.  I think sadrul has done a good job
> with
> the whole Pidgin-text thing, and I'm in favor of letting him make the
> final
> decision.

I like the idea of using the same repository. I am not having any
difficulties with the current settings, and I don't see any compelling
reason to change that. By the way, was there a consensus on a name for
Pidgin-text?

I also think it'd be good if we had the ability to give people write access
> just certain parts of the repository.   For example, it seems like that
> wabz
> fella has been submitting a lot of patches to Pidgin-text, maybe sadrul
> would
> want to add him as a dev for Pidgin-text?  Does monotone allow that?

I completely agree. Richard Nelson (wabz) has indeed written some good
patches, and making him a developer should give him more motivation to
continue working on it. It will also be helpful for me, because I haven't
been able to spend as much time on -text as I would've wanted. Having
someone else as a developer takes some of the pressure off me.

If we are doing a vote on Mark, +1 from me :-)

PS: Anyone knows how I can turn off HTML-mailing in gmail?

Sadrul