[Cabal] beta6 and after
elb at psg.com
Sat Dec 9 22:53:27 EST 2006
Ethan Blanton spake unto us the following wisdom:
> As far as switching to monotone, there are still migration issues to
> be resolved if we want a contiguous history from Day Zero. I don't
> know if datallah has had time to look into the tailor issues with
> making it fudge that import, but I haven't. I suspect it can be
> hacked into working in a reasonable period of time, but I personally
> won't have time to look at it until at least the middle of next week,
> if not after.
I believe I have a working migration script (really, pile of scripts,
Makefile, and black magic), and I've started a migration. If all goes
well, in a day or two we'll have a complete monotone history of the
single, linear Gaim tree from revision 9 in svn through whatever the
current revision is at the time it gets there. I'm not to the "have a
working subversion install" stage yet, so there's still a possibility
it'll fail, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it go sooner or
For those who are interested in the gory details, there's a tarball at
~elb/gaim-migrate.tar.gz on pidgin that contains the scripts. Don't
run it, it uses a bajillion years of CPU time and a bajillibyte of
network transfer data from sourceforge, and I'm already running it to
do the "official" migration, but you might want to look at it. What
it does is:
* Build Subversion 1.3.2 if the system subversion is not 1.3.x; this
is because 1.4.x uses a different metadata format which the script
* Build an svn proxy executable which looks for a few specific command
lines and does something different than svn would do; more later.
* Patch tailor to check out only through revision 9, regardless of how
many revisions are in the repository.
* Start a tailor migration, using
* Kill the migration (by returning failure in svnproxy) when svn tries
to log from revision 9 to 10.
* Change the tailor config to point to
* Re-patch tailor to check out only through revision 16020 (the
first re-arrangement revision).
* Continue the tailor migration. Abort at 16020.
* Grovel through all the .svn/entries files, changing URLs from
trunk/gaim to trunk, and revisions from 16020 to 16024.
* Change the tailor config file to start at 16024 (I don't think this
does anything any more).
* Re-start the tailor migration.
* When tailor tries to update to revision 16023, have svnproxy tell it
everything went OK and don't do anything.
When all that is done, we have a history. I haven't completed a
migration, yet (I just got the problem revisions working and started a
complete migration with the official key), but I'm hoping it will
either work, or work enough to get the rest going by hand.
I haven't tried hooking branches to that tree yet, that will be my
next step; however, that work can proceed at any time.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws [that have no remedy
for evils]. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor
determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishments", 1764
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://pidgin.im/cgi-bin/mailman/private/cabal/attachments/20061209/b9046a2e/attachment.pgp
More information about the Cabal