[Cabal] Moving toward a more manageable FAQ

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Wed Dec 20 11:08:01 EST 2006

Luke Schierer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:06:26PM -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> > I would like to see an all-in-one FAQ page, but the flexibility of
> > trac leads me to believe that we can render one from the individual
> > pages listed in a macro such as the above; one would have to edit the
> > individual pages, but the entier thing could be *viewed* in one go.
> > How does that strike people?  I'll take a look at making it happen, if
> > people like it.  Unless I can convince someone else to do it, since I
> > don't even know python.  ;-)
>
> I *would* like to see a comprehensive list of questions.  I do *not*
> want to see a comprehensive list of answers.  I very much like what you
> have done.  It seems like a good compromise between ready access to the
> information and keeping each page short. I think that keeping each page
> short is important for getting people to read it, a huge page of text is
> intimidating even if the particular answer is not long.

See, I personally *prefer* an all-in-one page when reading a FAQ or
documentation, because it keeps me from having to clack around the
intarwebz to find the information I'm looking for.  My thought was
that we would produce and maintain the FAQ as multiple pages (and
readable as such), and generate an all-in-one page as well; this way
we get the best of both worlds.  It would consist simply of a macro
like:

[[CatPages(Using Pidgin, Installing Pidgin, Using Libpurple)]]

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.