[Cabal] Monotone

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Mon Nov 6 22:44:16 EST 2006

Richard Laager spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Has anyone merged the Pidgin changes from Pidgin SVN into a Monotone
> branch? I think that'd be a great way to get some experience with
> Monotone's branching capabilities. We'd be able to see how well Monotone
> will work for us. If not, I'll volunteer to do it. Just let me know.

I've been looking at that, and because revisions were ported from
sf.net to pidgin.im with no real respect to their original ordering
(as best I can tell), there's no clean way to zipper the two histories
together.  It'll probably have to be done by hand.  I really think we
should discontinue the use of pidgin.im svn until we get some sort of
plan for sorting things out ... subversion is just too crappy to be
doing parallel development and expect to be able to use it later.

This does mean that the icon changes/etc. will have to be re-merged in
to whatever tool we choose to use later.

Richard also brings up the question of complete history ... do we want
that in our dvcs repository?  If so, datallah, have you had any luck
getting svn to merge across those busted revisions?

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.