[Cabal] Contract change

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Thu Nov 9 20:34:19 EST 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 8:25 PM, Sean Egan wrote:

> So, is the majority in favor of changing namespaces, then?
>
> Seems like Ethan and I are against it, while Richard, Luke, Stu, Etan,
> and Mark are for it?

I can't find your or Ethan's specific arguments against a namespace
change on-list, but maybe they're buried in a different thread.

The only strong arguments for not changing seem to be surrounding 3rd
party plugins... it's not a matter of worrying if installed plugins
are going to cause a crash, though, since thankfully there's a good
plugin versioning system.  If a namespace change is really as simple
(from an external standpoint) as s/gaim_gtk_/pidgin_ and s/gaim_/
purple_, it seems like a pretty trivial change to ask plugin writers
to make.

-Evan