[Cabal] Contract change

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 21:24:17 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, Evan Schoenberg <evan.s at dreskin.net> wrote:
> I can't find your or Ethan's specific arguments against a namespace change
> on-list, but maybe they're buried in a different thread.

- Every plugin author has to make changes. As pointed out, this is
largely mitigated by a compatibility header and releasing the sed
scripts we'll use

- Any third-party documentation, howtos, tutorials,
best-^H^H^H^H^Hselling books become less relevent.

- Just seems more trouble than it's worth, but I'm less interested in
keeping the namespaces than I was before.

What should we call gaim-text after the rename? If the main benefit of
renaming is to better enforce the core/ui split, it might be nice to
also make sure it's obvious that gaim-text is a completely separate
client from pidgin, sharing no code. To have a pidgin_ and a
pidgin_text_ namespace is approximately the same as having a gaim_ and
a gaim_gtk_ namespace. I never liked the name gaim-text, anyway ;)