[Cabal] Trac scalability [Was: Re: [Gaim-devel] Yahoo (and maybe others): gaim_util_fetch_url_request() at 100% CPU until complete with repeated EAGAIN]

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Sat Nov 11 14:47:40 EST 2006

(Moving to cabal to discuss a related issue...)

Evan Schoenberg spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Nov 11, 2006, at 5:16 AM, Mark Doliner wrote:
> >Adium trac seems to be down so I can't see his explanation,
>
> We're still figuring out how to convince trac to scale... it seems
> that fastcgi , which we've switched to for performance reasons, will
> let a python process run forever... and eventually the maximum number
> it's supposed to run simultaneously is reached with all of them just
> sitting there doing nothing.  I don't know how to profile them to
> find out where they're hanging; on OS X I'd use sample. :\

So, this sounds like something we're likely to encounter with Pidgin.
What kind of scalability difficulty are we talking, here?  What type
of machine is Adium trac running on, if you don't mind my asking?
(And, how does it compare to pidgin.im?)  Are there any known
scalability configuration changes we should be making right up front?

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.