[Cabal] subversion?

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Wed Oct 25 13:38:05 EDT 2006

Luke Schierer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> In various places and ways, many of us have hit short comings of
> subversion.  Even though the import from cvs did not go as well as it
> could have, I still think we should be seriously considering what would
> be a *good* source version control rather than simply settling for
> subversion as the better of sf's two provided solutions.

I obviously completely concur.

> Ethan has said that monotone would make a good choice, and one that
> integrates with trac in a similar maner to subversion.  I think now,
> with relatively few people using the repository, and thus little
> inertia, would be a good time to test using monotone.

I have tailor'd everything on trunk/ from the Great Subversion History
Breakage forward (r16024, I think?) into monotone, and it is available
(or will be, as soon as Luke opens up tcp:4691) for anonymous netsync
from pidgin.im as the branch im.pidgin.gaim.  I will set up a cron job
to re-tailor each day's changes every night.

I think I am personally of the opinion that we should set up a
"historical" svn repository with all of the cvs2svn'd stuff, and start
going forward with just the revisions converted above (whatever vcs we
decide to go with).  There is a lot of breakage and Bad Stuff in that
old repository, stemming from the fact that neither svn nor cvs have
proper renames, crufty branches we don't want or need, etc.  We don't
want to *lose* any of it, but I'm not sure we need it online to be
fetched by everyone who ever wants to hack on Gaim, either.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.