[Cabal] The VCS situation

Luke Schierer lschiere at users.sf.net
Mon Oct 30 16:50:58 EST 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 01:46:58PM -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> On 10/29/06, Daniel Atallah <datallah at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > Are we going to actually make the move to a different vcs?
> > - There seemed to be at least a strong interest in doing so not too
> > long ago - what are the current thoughts.
>
> I'm not too interested in doing so, myself.  We're already changing so
> much, it seems like changing version control systems might just cause
> more headaches. Also, I think svn's biggest advantage is that people
> are already familiar with it
>
> That said, I do not mind being out-voted at all.
>
> -s.

The fact that we are changing so much, webpage, tracker, so on, makes it
easier to do this change.  People will already have to learn not to use
SF, one more step, esp. if we can walk them through it, as Ethan's
monotone directions do, will be no big deal.

I have advocated distributed VCS systems a number of times, both in
general and for us in particular.  I still believe that monotone or one
of it's distributed competetors would be the best home for us.

luke