[Cabal] FAQ and support.pidgin.im

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Mon Oct 30 21:02:32 EST 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 8:51 PM, Luke Schierer wrote:

> There are two ways to do a FAQ in a wiki.
>
> 1)a single FAQ page.  This is not substantially different from our
> faq.txt and faq.php pair, and has all of its flaws.
*nod*

> 2)to make each question/answer pair its own wiki page.  This would be
> more or less equivalent to what faqomatic is providing, each category
> would be a page that is itself a list of links deeper into the wiki.
> The leaf pages would have answers.  The problem here is that Wiki
> links
> are ugly.
A momentary argument against: There's no need to use Wiki formatting
to do links... [wiki:WikiPage Your text here].

I'm used to it, but I can see how that would be a mildly obnoxious
requirement for doing links.  I don't know if faqomatic's format is
better.

> I would be more inclined to this approach if we were going to put the
> faq in developer.pidgin.im or if trac were running pidgin.im itself.
> Given that it is not running pidgin.im, I think we have the
> opportunity
> to have a set of support pages that more narrowly focus on users vrs
> developers, and then have developer.pidgin.im do the reverse.  We can
> perhaps better serve the needs of this overlaping, but in some
> respects
> very different sets of users.
If the choice is made to treat Trac as purely a development
environment, I can see how that makes sense.  My thought of Trac as
an intentionally user-and-developer environment is that it blurs the
line between the two, letting users take an active part in
improvement of the program by easy access to bug reports, easy cross-
referencing to wiki entries from reports, and so on.  Maybe trying to
be inclusive like that just annoys the crap out of users :)

-Evan