Releasing Pidgin

Kevin M Stange kevin at
Sat Apr 7 04:20:34 EDT 2007

Mark Doliner wrote:
> How's this for a plan?  We announce to translators and packagers as soon as we
> can.  We get the web page smoothed out, document all the crazy new
> changes either on a new page somewhere or on the wiki, then announce on Sunday
> night once we're ready.

The changes list needs to be cross-referenced with the 2.0.0 ChangeLog /
ChangeLog.win32 files (they have been inconsistently updated) and they
should probably be refactored to include UI changes relevant to Pidgin
that were certainly not in there at all.  ChangeLog.API should probably
have a giant note about API/ABI compatibility, as should the ChangeLog.

> I don't think we should release another beta.  I think we should just get this
> puppy out the door as-is and see what happens.  But I DO think we should wait
> a week before actually releasing.  That should let the more hard-core people
> play around with what's in our Monotone repository.

I concur.  I think the Windows Makefiles still need to be reworked to
eliminate "GAIM" references.  Daniel, do you have stuff in your local
tree, or does anyone care if I attack this tomorrow?  My key has been
uploaded to Monotone, but no one has explicitly or blanketly given me
permission to change things, so I am not committing anything without
asking first.

> Where to host downloads?  We can't serve files from  SourceForge
> may not like us using them only for file downloads (I really don't know), but
> I think that is our best option for now.  We should create a pidgin project on
> SourceForge (or maybe try to rename the existing Gaim project?) and host our
> downloads there.  In the future we can look into other options (I'm definitely
> in favor of moving away from SourceForge entirely, if it's feasible.)

I think this is fine, but again offer the suggestion that if we do
decide we dislike the SF release system, I am most likely able to
contributed a mirror of packages via work in case this is ever desired
in the future.  Gathering 3 or 4 "sites" willing to do so would probably
be fine for Pidgin.  Again (so there is no confusion), I am not saying
we need to do this, just making known that there are strings I can pull
to help in this area.

> I nominate Luke for emailing the translators and packagers (either by bugging
> Sean to do it or just sending an email out yourself).
> And it's Easter weekend, so if you guys are really busy I don't see any
> problem with pushing this back a few days--nobody really took notice of the
> Digg post or gaim-cabal hubbub.


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 252 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : 

More information about the Cabal mailing list