Let's answer the branding question on Win32

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 19:12:05 EDT 2007

On 4/8/07, Kevin M Stange <kevin at simguy.net> wrote:
> 1) Call it Pidgin.  If we need to distiguish it, refer to it as "Pidgin
> for Windows" or "Windows Pidgin"

I agree with this.  I don't particularly like "WinPidgin" and as I've
mentioned before, I dislike "PidgWin", partially because it sounds
like "Cygwin".

I'm not confused (at least about this :P )

> Finally, I want to solicit some suggestions for the Win32 build
> environment.  Originally, before the Core/UI split, everything was
> organized around GAIM_TOP, and src/.  Then we introduced GAIM_LIB_* and
> GAIM_GTK_* into the makefiles.  Right now, we can use PIDGIN_* and
> PURPLE_*, but there's still an issue with anything outside either scope.
>
> The top of the source is still GAIM_TOP.  The makefiles refer to things
> in the GAIM_* namespace, like GAIM_INSTALL_DIR, GAIM_VERSION,
> GAIM_WIN32_MAKEFILE, GAIM_PO_TOP.  What should I be replacing GAIM with?
>
> Obviously GAIM_TOP can't be renamed to PIDGIN_TOP because it will
> conflict with PIDGIN_TOP pointing to /pidgin.

My thoughts...

I haven't messed with these yet because I'm not sure of the best
course of action.

I haven't been able to come up with a replacement for "GAIM_TOP" that
I particularly like.  If nothing better comes up, what about
"PIDGIN_TREE_TOP"?

"GAIM_INSTALL_DIR" can become "PIDGIN_INSTALL_DIR" and
"PURPLE_INSTALL_DIR", they can either point to the same place or to
different places in the top dir and have the pidgin installation copy
the purple stuff over. I'm not to bothered which happens since right
now.

If we, at some point, split out versioning for libpurple and pidgin,
we'll have to change how this is done, but for now, I think
GAIM_VERSION can just become PIDGIN_VERSION.  The same applies to
GAIM_PO_TOP, unless we split it out.

GAIM_WIN32_MAKEFILE can just become MINGW_MAKEFILE

-D