[Cabal] Commits Emails

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Sun Feb 4 13:11:02 EST 2007

Kevin M Stange spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I just noticed that the emails that don't come from "monotone server
> user" (in other words, the ones that seem to come from the person who
> made the commit) have an apparently bogus email address in the To header
> (such as -fseanegan at pidgin.im).  -f is an argument to sendmail as far as
> I can remember, so my best guess is a syntax error somewhere.
>
> Did we figure out why the sender is not consistent between mailings?

I believe so, and I believe I have fixed it.  I do not know why the -f
is still showing up, I made some changes to fix that.  Luke also
changed some packages at the same time, which may have broken my fixes.

The bottom line, as I have said before, is that the script we are
currently using is *very* fragile and somewhat ignorant.  I am
reluctant to continue to spend a lot of time hacking on it, knowing
that it will need to be replaced sooner, rather than later.

To sketch my ideas for fixing this issue, I plan to create a netsync
hook which, rather than sending the emails itself, simply builds
commit logs (one commit per file) in a maildir-like directory
structure.  Then, a separate program will periodically send all new
commit logs to the commits mailing list, as well as perform whatever
other actions are desired (notify CIA, etc.).  With some careful
engineering, we can even cause this separate program to be triggered
immediately by commits, rather than having to poll or otherwise
determine externally that it should take action.

I don't know when I will get to this.  Quite frankly, I am entirely
disgusted with the Gaim project right now for a myriad of reasons, and
not inclined to spend a lot of my time on it.  That said, I don't want
to leave my friends and co-developers hanging for too long, so I will
see what I can do.  If anyone would like to tackle this problem
themselves in the meantime, I would be happy to explain my plans.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.