[Cabal] Commit mailing list for pidgin mtn

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Sun Feb 4 13:20:32 EST 2007

Kevin M Stange spake unto us the following wisdom:
> For the record, Thunderbird seems to be incapable of matching any
> headers besides the ones that have been predefined in spite of claiming
> to be able to do so.  I cannot match the mailing list without the
> Subject, From, or To for a search filter (it works for a manual search
> or a filter at the time of delivery, so this makes no sense), which
> makes the feature largely useless.  Perhaps if this issue does not get
> resolved in Thunderbird 2.0, I will seek another mailer.

I was discussing the ridiculousness of this thread and the apparent
indifference to good software that many people have with a labmate who
uses Thunderbird the other day, and he was able to create a working
filter by using the To and Cc headers.  He was initially of the
opinion that the [mungosity] headers were beneficial, but after a
short bout of testing with Thunderbird he determined that he did not,
in fact, need them.

The inability to switch on arbitrary headers is, of course,
ridiculous, but should not have a bearing on this particular
conversation; the only thing you will lose is the ability to filter
messages Bcc'd to a mailing list, which should be few and far between.
It does boggle me, however, that many people will put up with such
broken software day in and day out, and not give it a second thought.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.