[Cabal] Logos. Second draft

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 17:17:44 EST 2007

On 1/22/07, Steven Garrity <stevelist at silverorange.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's fair to compare Denis' work to a contest site. I
> recommended Denis and think he's REALLY talented. I'm actually surprised
> he doesn't charge more. We've got clients who are glad to pay it.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Denis is over-priced. It's just that
having already sunk $1200 on Denis, it would be nice if we didn't have
to effectively double our logo budget. There's no doubt that having
multiple concepts, multiple drafts, several rounds of feedback and
redesign from a talented professional designer is considerably more
valuable than a bunch of random people submitting ideas blindly.

Also, I don't think anyone doubts that Denis is super-talented. I know
I couldn't come up with anything remotely as good.
(http://gaim.sf.net/sean/pidgin.png was my best attempt ;)). It's just
that on this project, his style and what we're looking for just don't
overlap yet. I'm probably at fault also for not expressing what we
want well enough.

On the other hand, I actually kinda like this draft. The first drafts
I actually thought were absolutely terrible, other than the neat
quotation-mark-as-letters thing. This I could certainly live with, and
the third draft I might actually like. It seems that every time I look
at it, my opinion flips. When I read that everyone here is unhappy
with it, and then I look at it, I think "Oh, it's not that bad!" And
then when I'm thinking it's "not that bad," I look at and think it's
awful. :)

I think my feedback to Dennis this round will be that it still doesn't
look enough like a pigeon, and that it would be nice if it had some
more personality and character. Perhaps right now it's looks a bit too
"professional" or "corporate" for our tastes. Does that sound right?

-s.